This article summarizes how to create new courses for teachers using the administrator account.
Courses within a Vedubox system can be created by administrator account and optionally teacher account. Creating courses from the administrator account is suggested as creating courses from the teacher account is used for special occasions.
You can watch a summary video on how to create courses as a system administrator
- Only one teacher can be assigned for a single course. For example, a Math course for high school 9th grade will only have one teacher. If the same course is offered to different classrooms with different teachers, then separate courses for separate teachers must be created. For example, the same course for two different teachers must be created and named as follows: 9th Grade Math - John Doe and 9th Grade Math - Richard Blake
- Assigning students to the courses and putting courses up for sale is done through course catalogs.
- Live courses can be scheduled according to asynchronous courses.
- One course cannot have more than one teacher. However, the teacher of the course can be changed. Simply log in as an administrator, go to the "Courses" page, update the course and change the teacher.
- Course content is managed by the teacher's account.
- Before creating courses, you must register your teachers and you must build up your course category structure with the "Categories" menu in your administrator interface.
For more info about creating a course category, read Managing Course Categories.
You can create your courses using one of three ways:
- Do not choose a catalog while creating a course, so that a catalog and a catalog subscription will automatically be created.
- Choose a catalog while creating your course.
- Batch creating courses
Steps to create courses without choosing a catalog:
- Click the "Courses" module with your administrator account.
- Click the "Add" button.
- Type in the name of the course. Naming courses according to audiences are important. For example, if this is a mathematics course and you have different grade levels, then you need to name your courses such as "Mathematics Grade 1", "Mathematics Grade 2" etc.
- You can use tags and enter descriptions for your course. (Both optional.)
- Choose a course category. Keep in mind that course categories will come in handy when you will have lots of courses and plan to manage live courses through the administrator account since course categories will act as filters.
- Finally, choose the responsible teacher account from the list and save the form.
- You can now view, update and delete your course from the "Courses" list by clicking on the three dots.
- Also notice that since we did not choose a catalog for this course, a catalog is automatically created with the same name as the course.
- Like catalog, the catalog subscription is also created inside the "Example Course" catalog, with the same name.
Catalogs -> Update -> Scroll down
Tip: Registering students for the courses is done through catalog subscriptions. A catalog subscription represents the catalog it resides in. When a student is registered into a catalog subscription, they will be registered into a course or courses that are within that catalog.
A course catalog is simply a course pack.
- There can be one or more than one course in a single catalog.
- A course can be used in more than one catalog.
- Each catalog should have at least one catalog subscription representing them since students are not registered into courses or catalogs, but into catalog subscriptions.
Tip: If you are planning to rely on custom catalogs rather than automatically created catalogs for each course, then you can first create your catalogs, and then choose relevant catalogs for your courses for practical reasons.
The opposite can also be done: meaning you can update a catalog and change what courses it contains. However, if you create your courses first, not choosing a catalog will result in the creation of automated catalogs.
To create catalogs, go to the "Catalogs" module.
Click the "Add" button.
Type in the name of your catalog and click save.
Note: Initially, you can only create the catalog. In order to manage catalog subscriptions, you need to update the catalog you created.
To add a catalog subscription, click the update button for your new catalog from the catalog list.
Scroll down and find the "Catalog Subscription" area. Click "Add".
In the form:
- Name your catalog subscription.
- Select a currency.
- Type the amount zero if you are not going to put your courses for sale at your portal.
- Choose the type "Permanent".
- Make the duration 10 Years for a permanent subscription.
- If you have already registered your students, choose your students from their branches. (Optional)
- Save your changes.
Batch Creating Courses:
Note: Similar to individual course creation, you need to register your teachers first since assigning a teacher to a course is necessary.
Note 2: While batch creating courses, you can not choose catalogs. It means that for each and every course you create with batch create option, a catalog and a catalog subscription for every course will automatically be created with the same name as the course.
Click "Courses" in your admin panel.
Click the "Batch Create" button.
Download the Excel file.
Notice that you can view the list of e-mail addresses of your registered teachers on the same page.
Fill in the excel file.
- The course name is mandatory.
- The course description is optional.
- Course category is optional.
- If you leave the category field blank, the course will be created under the "Default" category.
- If you type in an existing category name in your Vedubox, the course will be created under that category.
- If you type a new category name, the new category will be created in your Vedubox system.
- Instructor E-Mail is mandatory. You need to provide the e-mail address of the teacher that you want to assign to your new course. For a list of your instructor e-mails, see the image above.
- Tags are optional. You can add more than one tag by separating tags with commas.
- After filling your excel file, save it.
In the batch create a page, click "Select" then click "Upload" to upload your excel to the system.
-List of the courses in your Excel file will be listed once you click upload in a table.
Rows in green mean that courses are ready to be created with no issues. If a row is red, the course in the red row will not be created due to a problem, for example, the instructor's e-mail address is not provided.
Once you confirm your action, click Okay to finish creating your courses.